ourdogsnewowner

Sunday, July 7, 2019

Power of One

It is the last of vacation and my heart is full.  I needed these 2 weeks to fill my heart with love, hope and family.  What has struck me the most is the my realization of the power of one person.  I often struggle with my place in the world and how I fit into it, am I doing things right?  These 2 weeks have taught me, it is not about if I am doing things right, it is about doing something.  Moving forward is all I need to do. 

We started with our Gotcha Reunion in Georgia, 12 years ago, these eight families met in China while we adopted our daughters.  They have been family ever since.  Any time you can get eight 13 year old girls together without any drama it is a pretty amazing feat.  These girls get together like the see each other once a month.  It fills my heart to watch them grow into unique, fun, happy girls. 




We went to Warm Springs, Georgia.  It is where FDR passed away, more importantly it is where he learned to live again.  He helped create a center for the treatment of polio that is now a leading rehab hospital.  At the center of this amazing place is the warm springs pool which has special properties to help people float.  It helped me remember that no matter what your physical ability you can do anything you put your heart into.  FDR was an amazing man, who had leg braces and used a wheelchair, who helped millions of people and continues to help them today with the programs he initiated. 
 We continued our travels to Tuskegee, AL.  A place I have read about, watched movies about and even taken tests about because of the evil that took place there.  As I watched the movie about the Airmen at the museum, I was amazed at how these men fought for their ability to fight for our country.  Benjamin O. Davis, Jr was the leader of this group, he continuously stood up for the rights of all people in the armed forces and led the red-tails while in combat. 
The Tuskegee Institute, now University is a true testament to hard work and dedication to the betterment of all people. It was started by George Washington Carver with $2000 for salaries and free land.  He literally taught people how to make bricks to construct the buildings on the campus. 
We continued our journey in Montgomery, AL.  For many reasons I did not want to like this place, but everywhere I turned there was love and hope, saying do not judge us by our mistakes. 
Rosa Parks sat on a bus and changed the world.  She said "you may do that" when told she would be arrested.  Her simple and yet powerful statement started the bus boycott that changed the rules of segregation. 



Dexter Ave King Memorial Baptist Church changed my view of the world.  This church was the only place Martin Luther King, Jr ever was the lead paster.  I learned so much of his love and the love this church continues to teach.  He started his work at the age of 25 and in 14 short years changed the face of the world.  He was a Godly man who wanted peace for all people.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Our final stop in Montgomery was the Southern Poverty Law Centers, Civil Rights Memorial.    So much has been done, so much more needs to be done.  

Our final stop in Alabama was Dora.  A place where Dora felt like the queen.   This one child has changed my world in so many ways.  Her love is unconditional and always flowing.   


We ended our trip in Memphis at the at the National Civil Rights Museum at the Lorraine Hotel.  A place that marks the end of a life and the history of a struggle of people that I am still trying to understand.  This trip has helped my journey. 

As I write about this journey now, it still amazes me how much one person can do.   The power of one person willing to move forward in their journey a small step, by staying seated, or by helping others help themselves, or just by showing love to the world.  All these acts of love move our world to a more peaceful place.  I do not need to change the world, I need to show love one person at a time. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home