ourdogsnewowner

Monday, July 28, 2008

Long Day

Today was one of the longest days I have ever had. I have the privilege of working with children for all kinds of reasons. One such reason is due to cancer treatments. Cancer treatments tend to knock kids down and sometimes they just need a boost to get back moving. Sometimes they need major surgery to help combat the cancer that make changes to their bodies that need my help learn how to move again. These kids tend to be fighters and hard workers. They tend to want to do more than they should and never want to take a break. Very few will be told you will not be able to something and not take it as a personal goal to prove me and other health care professionals wrong. Elizabeth was one of those kids. She was a strong willed hard working loving child. She would never leave a session of physical therapy without saying thank you and would always say I love you as she left. I have learned so much from this young girl. She forced you to be up front with your emotions. She would tell you when she was happy about what was going on and had no problems telling you she hated what you were doing, but was always clear in that it was the activity or the procedure she was mad at no you. Her goal was always something you told her she could not do or would not do. After having half of her pelvis removed and replaced with metal it was unclear if she would be able to walk. Not to Elizabeth 1 month later she was walking around and asking to go to school. When told it was unsafe to walk without her walker she would look at you and just walk without it. I will get stronger without it she would say. She was one of the strongest people I have ever met. She was having some test done prior to going to Texas to meet with another specialist when it was found her lung had collapsed. She just said I wonder how that happened. She was a girly girl and princess and the queen all wrapped up together. If possible she was wearing a dress that was purple or pink or whatever was looking cute that day. Today we celebrated her life and place her in her final resting place we were all wearing crowns or tiaras Elizabeth would have loved that. In her short life she has touch me and so many others in such deep ways. She is a child I will never forget, she has reinforced to me that life is short, make the most of it and always tell people how you feel about them do not be afraid to say I love you. You all know that I love you, if you are reading this truly know that I do. At six years old she had such wisdom, may you all know that same love and wisdom in your lives. It is hard to see such a small child leave this life to go to the next but she is finally at peace and it not for me to question but learn from her and lead my life well.

J

3 Comments:

  • At July 28, 2008 at 10:27 PM , Blogger DAVID AND AMY VENN'S WEBSITE said...

    Wow!! Bless that lil' girl's heart!! How tragic! I just want to hug Emily Grace one more time tonight and to call all that I Iove and tell them how much they all mean to us!!
    We love you guys!!
    The Venns

     
  • At July 29, 2008 at 7:00 PM , Blogger Jackie Sue said...

    Julie, I am so sorry for your loss, but so proud of you for looking for the good in a really impossible situation. The tieras were such a sweet touch. I just love that. Hang in there and know that you are loved too. I am so grateful that Heaven awaits us!

     
  • At August 2, 2008 at 8:28 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What a touching memorial to Elizabeth, Julie! She must have really been a special little girl to have affected you so deeply. Her memory will live on in you and others she touched in her short life. My thoughts & prayers go out to you and Elizabeth's family. We love you all too!!
    The Callahans

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home